Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Homemade Salsa!



Yesterday I made a whole bunch of homemade Salsa!  I made it last year and people seemed to really enjoy it so I did it again!  I am lucky enough to have a boss who has a huge garden and plenty of Roma tomatoes to go around, so she shares with me!

I made a large batch but I share with my family and neighbors!

This is my own recipe that I kind of just made up last year when I was looking to make Salsa for the first time.  I knew what I liked and didn't like about certain salsas, so I just picked what I liked and combined it for one AWESOME salsa!  Not too chunky but not pureed soup either! Perfect flavor, salty, spicy and fresh!! Give it a try!  Trust me, it is much easier than you think!!

115-130 Roma Tomatoes
10-15 Jalepeno Peppers
2 Large White Onions
2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
Juice of 4 Limes
2 Large bunches of Cilantro
4 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
2 Tablespoons Cumin

All of these measurements of ingredients are just a base line.  You can add as much or as little of each ingredient you would like! That is the beauty of making your own salsa!

Cut all tomatoes in quarters and get rid of all seeds and extra juices.

Cut all jalapeno stems off and then in half and get rid of ribs and seeds if you wish.  The more ribs and seeds you have the hotter it will be!  Also, cut with caution----gloves are always a good option!

Cut onion into large chunks.

I used my KitchenAid food processor and it works like magic, so I highly recommend one for your kitchen!  Put ingredients in one at a time and blend to your liking. I like a good chop on mine, but not pureed into soup either!

Once you have all your tomatoes, peppers, and onions blended pour them together into a large bowl and mix.

Next I added the Salt, Cumin, Lime Juice and Garlic.  Mix well.

Lastly I chopped the Cilantro with a large knife and mixed it in.  I like a larger chop on my Cilantro, plus if you put this in the blender it would bruise it!  Better to go the old fashioned route for this part!




That's it!  Very simple!  I bought smaller round Tupperware containers to store mine in.  Perfect size to share with friends and family! Divide it out into whatever container you choose and put it right in the fridge.  It will be even better in the next couple days as it has time to sit and marry all the flavors!!  Now go stock up on some tortilla chips, you are gonna need them!




Have fun with this and let me know what you think of the recipe!!

--Ashley


No comments:

Post a Comment